Licenses And Certifications You Need To Open And Operate A Liquor Shop

Posted on: 8 January 2020

A liquor shop in a key location can be a very lucrative business. Before you start ordering inventory and stocking shelves, however, you have to apply for and get a number of licenses and certifications. Depending on where you intend to open your store, there may be a few extra licenses or certification credentials you will need. The following are typically the most common requirements for any liquor store owner. 

Vendor's License

Regardless of the type of shop you own and what you sell, you need a vendor's license. It establishes your business as a place where goods are sold to consumers. Having a vendor's license is a common requirement of properties located in densely populated, urban commercial areas. Having this license allows you to sell almost everything from chips to drink mixers. Start by acquiring this license, and then apply for a liquor license. 

Liquor License

A liquor license allows you to buy and sell liquor. You can buy it in mass quantities with intent to sell to consumers without penalty under various trade laws. The liquor license also makes your shop and its activities legal under local and state laws, provided you follow all applicable laws. Some states will allow you to sell alcohol until bar closing time, while other states insist that alcohol sales end and alcoholic drinks stores close at 9 p.m. You will have to take a class, as well as a written test, before you can apply for your liquor license. 

Responsible Beverage Server's Certification

One might assume that because of the title of this certification, it is only for bartenders and drink-serving waitstaff. It is not. It is important to recognize when customers have drunk enough to meet the legal limit, and it is not safe to sell them more alcohol, especially if they are attempting to drive home.

Despite the fact that you would be selling the customers closed beverages, the customers can open and drink those beverages anywhere from the checkout after payment to their cars. You could be held liable and responsible if those customers end up injured or dead, hurt or kill others, or destroy property. The course required to receive this certification is required for you and all of your employees, regardless of the shift worked and the likelihood that they would encounter anyone who is legally drunk and attempting to buy more alcohol. Additionally, you would be taught how to screen consumers for age restrictions.